- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Brown Sugar Fruit Cake Recipe
|Brown sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), firmly packed|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Powdered cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon, powdered|
|Powdered mace||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Powdered cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Seedless raisins||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), chopped|
|Dried currants||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Citron||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2862 Calories from Fat 164
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g28.5%
Saturated Fat 6.1 g30.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 434.3 mg
Sodium 1451.1 mg60.5%
Total Carbohydrates 655 g218.4%
Dietary Fiber 23 g92.2%
Sugars 388.3 g
Protein 51 g101.1%
Vitamin A 14.8% Vitamin C 42.2%
Calcium 80.2% Iron 155.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Beat the butter or margarine until soft; gradually add the sugar and beat until creamy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift 1 3/4 cups of the flour with the baking soda, salt and spices; combine the milk with the molasses and lemon extract.
4. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk mixture to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup sifted flour over the fruit.
5. Pour a layer of cake batter into the baking pan; sprinkle with a layer of the fruit; continue, repeating layers until all is used.
6. Bake 1 1/4 hours. After the first half hour of baking, cover the baking pan with paper so the cake does not brown too much.