- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (or lard - 1/3 cup)|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Nuts||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
Calories 833 Calories from Fat 424
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g72.2%
Saturated Fat 13.5 g67.4%
Trans Fat 2.2 g
Cholesterol 93.5 mg
Sodium 667.5 mg27.8%
Total Carbohydrates 94 g31.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.6%
Sugars 58.7 g
Protein 15 g29.6%
Vitamin A 6.9% Vitamin C 0.05%
Calcium 19.8% Iron 13%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
1. In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar together.
2. Use pastry blender to cut in shortening for about 1-2 minutes on low speed.
3. Do not overmix. It will lead to creaming of flour and shortening, whereas the mixture should be dry and crumbly.
4. In a bowl, add the coffee cake mix for making the cake.
5. Before adding any liquids, mix in cinnamon and numeg to the cake mix.
6. Further, beat eggs until fluffy and gradually add sugar to the eggs.
7. Add the egg mixture to the cake mix and beat for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
8. Then, pour in milk, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition to mix properly.
9. In the greased baking dish, spread the batter.
10. Garnish it with a well-blended mixture of butter, sugar, salt, flour and nuts.
11. Bake for about 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
12. Cut the cake into triangles or pieces and serve with coffee.