- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Brown Stew Rich Recipe
|Shoulder steak||1⁄4 Pound|
|Hot stock||3⁄4 Pint|
|Carrot strip||2 Tablespoon (For Garnish:)|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish:)|
Calories 140 Calories from Fat 75
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.8%
Saturated Fat 3.4 g17.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 20.4 mg
Sodium 948.1 mg39.5%
Total Carbohydrates 9 g3%
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g5.3%
Sugars 2.7 g
Protein 7 g14%
Vitamin A 69.2% Vitamin C 13.6%
Calcium 2.2% Iron 2.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Clean and chop the onion.
2. Prepare root vegetables, cut into blocks and reserve for garnish.
3. Chop the trimmings into small pieces.
4. In a pan heat dripping, add the meat and fry lightly on both sides. Fry in batched add meat only covering the bottom of pan.
5. Drain out the meat from pan.
6. Fry onion until light brown.
7. Stir in flour and fry gently until brown in colour.
8. With a metal spoon mix roux to prevent scorching.
9. Pour hot stock over it, stirring all the time.
10. Add seasoning.
11. Boil the mixture. Skim out the froth and add meat and vegetables trimmings.
12. Cook and simmer for 2-2 1/2 hours until cooked.
13. Cut into strips prepared blocks of carrot and swede.
14. In a pan boil salted water and cook in it for 15 mins.
15. Strain out from water and keep hot. Complete cooking garnish while cooking stew parallely.
16. Taste sauce and correct seasoning, colour and consistency that of a pouring sauce.
17. Serve hot.