- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Crusty Brown Soda Bread Recipe
|Plain flour||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Soda bicarbonate||1 Tablespoon|
|Cream of tartar||4 Teaspoon|
|Caster sugar||2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||2 Ounce (55 Gram)|
|Buttermilk/Skimmed milk||1 1⁄2 Pint (900 Milliliter)|
|Wholemeal flour||2 Tablespoon (Extra, To Sprinkle)|
Calories 320 Calories from Fat 64
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.2%
Saturated Fat 3.9 g19.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 15.2 mg
Sodium 999.8 mg41.7%
Total Carbohydrates 55 g18.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g7.3%
Sugars 1.3 g
Protein 7 g14.6%
Vitamin A 3.5% Vitamin C
Calcium 0.9% Iron 2.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl, tipping any bran from the flour back into the bowl.
3. Rub the butter into the flour mixture, then add enough buttermilk or milk to make a soft dough. You may not need all of it, so add it cautiously.
4. Knead lightly until smooth then transfer to the baking sheet and shape} to a large round about 2 in (5 cm) i thick.
5. Using the floured handle of a wooden spoon, form a large cross on top of the dough. Sprinkle over a little extra wholemeal flour.
6. Bake for 40-50 minutes until riseri and firm. Cool for 5 minutes before) transferring to a wire rack to cool further.