- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Broiled Marinated Chicken With Vegetables Recipe
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm) (Unpeeled)|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Lime juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Skinless boneless chicken breast halves||4 Ounce|
|Green bell peppers||6 Ounce|
|Zucchini||6 Ounce, trimmed and halved lengthwise|
|Eggplants||4 Ounce, trimmed and halved lengthwise|
|Onions||2 Ounce, peeled and halved crosswise, plus 1/2 cup finely chopped onion|
|Plum tomatoes||3 Ounce, halved|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||2 Teaspoon|
|Canned chicken broth/Stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 586 Calories from Fat 178
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.9%
Saturated Fat 3.2 g15.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 65.8 mg
Sodium 1555.5 mg64.8%
Total Carbohydrates 59 g19.5%
Dietary Fiber 14.3 g57.3%
Sugars 14 g
Protein 41 g81.7%
Vitamin A 48.3% Vitamin C 352.6%
Calcium 23.3% Iron 45.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Scrape the garlic paste into a small bowl and stir in the black pepper, oregano, cumin and ground cloves. Gradually stir in the lime juice. Spread this seasoning paste all over the chicken breast halves; wrap tightly and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.
3. Roast the green peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler as close to the heat as possible, turning until charred all over. Place in a plastic bag and let steam for 5 minutes in the refrigerator. Working over a colander, peel the peppers under gently running warm water. Remove the cores and seeds; cut the pepper into 1/2-inch strips.
4. Preheat the broiler. Deeply score the cut sides of the zucchini and the eggplants in diagonal lines about 1/2-inch apart. Working in 2 batches, if necessary, arrange the zucchini, eggplants, halved onions and tomatoes in a single layer on a foil-lined broiler pan. Brush the zuc chini, eggplants, onions and tomatoes with 2 teaspoons of the vegetable oil. Broil about 4 inches from the heat until the vegetables are slightly blackened on top and soft and tender inside, 5 to 15 minutes. Remove, cover with aluminum foil and set aside.
5. Let the chicken return to room temperature before broiling. Remove the chicken from the marinade; reserve the marinade for the sauce. Broil the chicken on a foil-lined broiler pan until speckled dark brown on top, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn and broil until just cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes longer. Wrap in aluminum foil to keep warm and pour any drippings into the reserved marinade.
6. Put the remaining 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in a small heavy skillet, preferably nonstick. Add the 1/2 cup chopped onion and saute over moderate heat until lightly colored, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in the reserved marinade, the chicken broth and the wine. Bring to a boil, whisking, until thickened slightly. Simmer, stirring frequently, until reduced to 1 cup, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley. Season with salt to taste.
7. To serve, thinly slice the chicken breasts across the grain and fan out (overlap) in the center of each dinner plate. Divide the vegetables among the plates; drizzle the sauce over the chicken and vegetables. Serve warm or at room temperature.