- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Broiled Kale, Tomato, and Mozzarella Sandwiches Recipe
|Extra-virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Kale||1 Pound, washed|
|Bagels/8 1/2-inch-thick slices crusty bread, preferably cut from a round peasant loaf (boule)||4 , cut in half|
|Tomatoes||2 Medium, sliced|
|Part skim mozzarella||6 Ounce, sliced|
Calories 677 Calories from Fat 146
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.9%
Saturated Fat 5 g24.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 27.2 mg
Sodium 1074.6 mg44.8%
Total Carbohydrates 107 g35.8%
Dietary Fiber 6.1 g24.4%
Sugars 7.1 g
Protein 30 g59.5%
Vitamin A 363.1% Vitamin C 242.4%
Calcium 52.1% Iron 37.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Heat the broiler.
2. In a Dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium heat and saute the garlic, stirring it constantly, until it is soft and fragrant.
3. Add the kale cover the pot and steam such that the water that clings to its leaves is sufficient to steam it until it is tender, stirring it occasionally.
4. If necessary, add more water to prevent it from burning) and season it with the salt and pepper.
5. Lightly toast the bagels or slices of bread and place them on a baking sheet.
6. On each bagel half or slice of bread evenly distribute the kale, place a slice of tomato and a couple of slices of cheese and broil until the cheese is melted and golden.
7. Serve hot with beverage or as a snack.