- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Authentic Bread Sauce Recipe
|Bay leaf||1 Small|
|White bread slices||3|
|Pepper||To Taste, milled|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 518 Calories from Fat 186
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.9%
Saturated Fat 12.4 g61.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 55.5 mg
Sodium 857.8 mg35.7%
Total Carbohydrates 70 g23.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.8%
Sugars 23.8 g
Protein 14 g27.9%
Vitamin A 13.8% Vitamin C 17.7%
Calcium 34.6% Iron 4.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Peel the onion leaving it whole.
2) In a saucepan, place the milk.
3) Add the onion and the bay leaf or mace to the milk.
4) Bring almost to the boil, then draw off the heat, cover and allow to infuse for about 30 minutes.
5) Remove the onion and bay leaf or mace and add the breadcrumbs.
6) If using bread slices, remove the crusts and break the bread into pieces.
7) Add to the milk and allow to soak for about 10â€”15 minutes so that the bread softens.
8) Stir with a wooden spoon or whisk to make a puree.
9) Place the bread sauce over the heat, add the butter and cook gently, stirring frequently until the mixture is fairly thick.
10) Add salt and pepper to taste, and stir in the cream.
11) Serve the bread sauce as side dish.