- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Making Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe Video
|For soaking the sultanas|
|Brandy||2 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|For the pudding|
|White bread slices||7 Medium (6 - 7 slices)|
|Unsalted butter||50 Gram (To butter the bread slices)|
|Full fat milk||150 Milliliter|
|Vanilla pod/Vanilla extract - 2 drops||1⁄2 Medium|
|Castor sugar||60 Gram|
|Double cream||100 Milliliter|
|Icing sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For dusting)|
Calories 609 Calories from Fat 254
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g42.9%
Saturated Fat 8.3 g41.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 189.2 mg
Sodium 349.8 mg14.6%
Total Carbohydrates 77 g25.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.4 g9.4%
Sugars 44.4 g
Protein 11 g21.2%
Vitamin A 10.7% Vitamin C 1.3%
Calcium 8.2% Iron 6.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Ovenproof dish
2. Muslin cloth
1. In a small bowl, mix the brandy with the sultanas. Cover and allow it to stand for an hour or two.
2. Lightly grease an oven proof dish with butter.
3. Butter the slices of bread and remove the crusts. Then, neatly cut the bread into small triangle shapes.
4. Arrange a layer of the buttered bread triangles in the bottom of the ovenproof dish. Sprinkle half of the sultanas over it.
5. Add another layer of bread followed by the remaining sultanas. Top off neatly with a final layer of bread. Cover and set aside until required.
6. Preheat the oven to 180 C / 356 F (Gas Mark 4).
7. In a small heavy bottom saucepan, pour the milk.
8. Cut the vanilla pod into half length wise. Scrape the seeds into the milk and also add the pod (or, add a few drops of vanilla extract).
9. Bring to a boil over low heat.
10. Meanwhile, break the eggs into a clean bowl, add the sugar and whisk together until light in color.
11. When the milk has almost boiled, carefully whisk in the beaten egg and sugar to form a thin custard.
12. Allow it to cool slightly and stir in the cream. Allow it to stand for 10 minutes.
13. Pass the custard through a strainer lined with muslin to remove the vanilla seeds and pod (keep the pod for another use).
14. Pour the custard over the bread in the dish and allow it to soak for about 15 minutes.
15. Make a bain marie with a large tray half filled with hot water.
16. Place the bread and butter pudding into the bain marie and place it in the oven. Cook for about 30 minutes until it is golden in color and the bread and butter pudding is spongy and set.
17. Remove from the oven and take the bread and butter pudding out of the bain marie.
18. Lightly dust with icing sugar.
19. Serve your bread and butter pudding immediately.