- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Brazil Nut Black Bottom Pie Recipe
|Ground brazil nuts||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Ounce|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), divided|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs), scalded|
|Semi sweet chocolate pieces||12 Ounce (1 Package)|
Calories 597 Calories from Fat 287
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g51.6%
Saturated Fat 10.4 g52.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 148.5 mg
Sodium 314.8 mg13.1%
Total Carbohydrates 65 g21.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g6.8%
Sugars 43.6 g
Protein 16 g31.5%
Vitamin A 4.8% Vitamin C 0.26%
Calcium 14.2% Iron 6.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
2. In a bowl combine Brazil nuts with 3 tablespoons sugar.
3. Take a 10-inch pie plate and press the nuts and sugar mixture over the bottom and sides of it.
4. Bake for 8 minutes at 400° F until the mixture gets lightly browned. When done cool off the mixture.
5. In a bowl take cold water and soften gelatine into it.
6. In a seperate bowl add cornstarch and 1/3 cup of the sugar.
7. In a seperate bowl beat egg yolks and slowly introduce scalded milk into it.
8. Fold in sugar mixture.
9. In a double boiler cook the mixture and until it is slightly thickened.
10. Take 1 cup custard and introduce semi-sweet chocolate pieces into it. Stir the mixture until the chocolate is melted.
11. Introduce softened gelatine to remaining custard. Stir the mixture until gelatine is completely dissolved. Fold in vanilla. Cool the mixture.
12. In a seperate bowl add egg whites and beat the mixture until stiff. Add salt and 1/3 cup of sugar to it and beat them into gradual steps.
13. Add custard-gelatine mixture to the egg whites.
14. Spread chocolate mixture over Brazil nut pie shell.
15. Top chocolate layer with gelatine mixture and chill it until it gets firm.
16. Serve the dessert after topping with whipped cream, maraschino cherries and Brazil nut slices.