- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Bran Pita Bread Recipe
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Warm water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (110°-115°F)|
|All bran cereal||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Kellogg'S)|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), divided|
|Vegetable oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 468 Calories from Fat 252
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g43.9%
Saturated Fat 3.7 g18.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 236.1 mg9.8%
Total Carbohydrates 48 g16.1%
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g22.8%
Sugars 1.8 g
Protein 8 g16.2%
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 33.4%
Calcium 2% Iron 48.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In large bowl of electric mixer, dissolve yeast in warm water, about 5 minutes.
2. Put in KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal, mixing until combined.
3. Over low speed, beat in 1 cup of the all-purpose flour, the salt and oil.
4. Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping sides of bowl.
5. Using dough hooks on mixer or by hand, stir in whole wheat flour.
6. Continue kneading with mixer on low speed or by hand 5 minutes longer or until dough is smooth and elastic.
7. Put in the remaining 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, if needed, to make soft dough.
8. Divide dough into 12 portions.
9. Roll each portion amid floured hands into a very smooth ball.
10. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp cloth and let rest 10 minutes.
11. On a well-floured surface, lightly roll one piece of dough at a time into 6-inch rounds, turning dough over once.
12. Do not stretch, puncture or crease dough.
13. Keep unrolled dough covered while rolling each dough piece.
14. Place 2 rounds of dough at a time on ungreased baking sheet.
15. Bake in 450°F oven about 4 minutes or until dough is puffed and slightly firm.
16. Using a spatula turn and continue baking about 2 minutes or until lightly brown and let it cool.
17. Repeat with remaining dough.
18. Put in half and fill with a vegetable or meat filling.