- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Braised Swiss Steak Recipe
|Round steak||2 Pound (1-1/2 Inches Thick)|
|Onions||2 Medium, cut into lengths|
|Stewed tomatoes||1 Pound|
Calories 326 Calories from Fat 113
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.3%
Saturated Fat 5 g24.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 61.3 mg
Sodium 511.3 mg21.3%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.4%
Sugars 7.3 g
Protein 34 g68.1%
Vitamin A 4.6% Vitamin C 19.6%
Calcium 8.9% Iron 14%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) With damp paper towels, clean and wipe the steak.
2) Arrange all the other ingredients.
3) Mix together flour, salt, and pepper.
4) Over onse side of steal, sprinkle half of the flour mixture.
5) Using wooden mallet or rim of saucer, pound the mixture well into meat.
6) Repeat on other side.
7) In Dutch oven or large skillet, heat the oil and brown steak well on both sides—15 to 20 minutes in all.
8) Brown onion along with steak last 5 minutes.
9) Add stewed tomatoes and bay leaf; boil the liquid.
10) Lower the heat, and simmer, covered, 2 hours, or until meat is tender.
11) In a heated serving platter, transfer the steak.
12) Remove bay leaf and discard.
13) Pour some sauce over steak, and serve the rest on side.