- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Braised Leeks with Mustard Sauce Recipe
|Thin leeks||1 Pound|
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Yellow mustard seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dijon mustard||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 96 Calories from Fat 12
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1 g2.1%
Saturated Fat 0.26 g1.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1.8 mg
Sodium 108.6 mg4.5%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.9%
Sugars 5.4 g
Protein 3 g6.9%
Vitamin A 38.2% Vitamin C 23.1%
Calcium 7.2% Iron 14.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) From the leeks, cut the roots and tough green parts.
2) In water, rinse the leeks gently and thoroughly.
3) Cut the leeks in half, lengthwise. However, leave the leeks whole if they are less than 1 inch in diameter.
4) In a large frying pan, combine the stock, mustard seeds, and bay leaf.
5) To this, add the leeks, cut side facing down.
6) Over medium heat, bring this to a simmer.
7) Simmer, covered, for 8 minutes.
8) Now, keep in the refrigerator, uncovered for about 30 minutes to chill.
9) Just before serving, strain and reserve the stock from the chilled mixture.
10) Now, on a serving platter, arrange the leeks.
11) Prepare the mustard sauce by combining 3 tablespoons of the reserved stock with the Dijon mustard.
13) Over the braised leeks in the platter, drizzle the mustard sauce and serve immediately.