- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Braised Chicken with Red and Green Apples Recipe
|Chicken||3 Pound, cut into serving pieces|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||1 Teaspoon|
|Safflower oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, coarsely chopped|
|Stalk celery||1 , trimmed and coarsely chopped|
|Carrot||1⁄2 , coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Tart green apples||1 1⁄2 , peeled, quartered and thinly sliced|
|Chopped fresh tarragon/7 teaspoon dried tarragon||1 Tablespoon (Some Whole Leaves Reserved For A Garnish If Fresh Tarragon Is Used)|
|Dry vermouth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unsalted chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Plain low fat yogurt||2 Teaspoon|
|Heavy cream||2 Tablespoon|
|Apple||1⁄2 (For Garnish)|
|Tarragon vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted chicken stock||3 Tablespoon|
|Red apples||16 , quartered and cut into 1/4-inch slices (Firm Ones)|
|Tart green apples||1⁄2 , quartered and cut into 1/4-inch slices (Unpeeled)|
Calories 569 Calories from Fat 201
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g34.4%
Saturated Fat 6.8 g34.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 120.5 mg
Sodium 320.6 mg13.4%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g18.1%
Dietary Fiber 9.2 g36.9%
Sugars 38.9 g
Protein 37 g74.4%
Vitamin A 23.5% Vitamin C 45.7%
Calcium 9.5% Iron 15.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Season the chicken pieces with pepper and salt.
2. Use a large heavy-bottomed skillet,
3. Melt the butter on a medium heat.
4. When the butter begins to froth, add the chicken pieces and brown evenly on all sides. When golden, remove and drain on a paper towel. Keep aside.
5. In the same pan reserve 1 tablespoon of the fat and drain the rest.
6. To it, add the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, apples and tarragon and sauté until the onions are soft and translucent.
7. Pour in the vermouth stir and reduce the flame, simmering till the liquid is reduces to 2/3 rd.
8. Returned the browned chicken to the pan, pour in the stock and bring to a boil.
9. Cover tightly and simmer on low heat, for 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Check by piercing a sharp tipped knife into a thigh piece.
10. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the contents of the pan to a heated serving platter and keep warm.
11. To prepare the sauce, Use a small sauce pan.
12. Measure and pour 1 1/2 cups of the braising liquid into the saucepan.
Skim off or blot the fat, simmer the liquid and reduce it to 1/2. Season the sauce to taste. Whish in the yogurt and the cream and heat without boiling. Pour into a sauce boat or gravy dish.
13. To prepare the apple garnish, use a small heavy bottomed saucepan.
14. Melt the sugar over low heat and boil it, stirring after it has melted, until it caramelizes to a honey brown.
15. Standing away from the stove, pour in the vinegar and the stock together into the saucepan.
16. The sugar will harden so continue to boiling until the sugar melts and dissolves to form thick syrup.
17. To the sauce, add the apple slices and cook them in the caramel for 1-2 minutes until soft and well coated
18. Arrange the apple slices over and around the chicken pieces on the platter. Garnish with fresh tarragon leaves.
19. Pass the sauce separately.