- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Braised Celery Recipe
|Celery head||2 Medium|
|Beef stock||1⁄2 Pint (3 Deciliter)|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
Calories 54 Calories from Fat 6
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.74 g1.1%
Saturated Fat 0.23 g1.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.99 mg
Sodium 175.5 mg7.3%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.4%
Sugars 5.6 g
Protein 3 g5.5%
Vitamin A 55% Vitamin C 29.6%
Calcium 5.1% Iron 3.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Trim celery roots and strip the leafy tops, paring the fibrous outer stalks.
2. Wash thoroughly, removing the grit between the ribs.
3. Chop the stalks finely
4. Wash the celery hearts thoroughly.
5. Halve them lengthwise.
6. Peel and chop the carrot, onion and swede.
7. 15 minutes before serving time, preheat the oven to 350Â°F (180Â°C or Gas No. 4)
8. In a shallow saucepan combine all the vegetables except the celery hearts
9. Add bayleaf and bacon rind.
10. Pour stock just enough to cover the contents.
11. Place the celery heart halves on top of the bed of vegetables.
12. Cover surface with butter paper and a close pan with tight fitting lid.
13. Steam the vegetables on a low flame, for about 40 minutes.
14. Use a slotted spoon to lift out the celery hearts and place them in a greased bake and serve dish.
15. Strain the cooking liquid through a sieve into a saucepan, pressing vegetables to extract the juices.
16. Boil on medium flame until reduced to 1/2 teacup.
17. Pour the liquid over the celery hearts.
18. Cover dish with a waxed paper and place in preheated oven for about 15 minutes.
19. Serve straight out of the oven.