- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Braised Cabbage with Bacon Recipe
|Onions||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped|
|Bacon||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced into 1/4 inch|
|Green cabbage head||3 Pound, cored and shredded|
|Caraway seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|White vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
Calories 184 Calories from Fat 68
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12%
Saturated Fat 2.9 g14.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 11 mg
Sodium 686.5 mg28.6%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.5%
Dietary Fiber 9.7 g38.9%
Sugars 13.8 g
Protein 7 g14.1%
Vitamin A 6.8% Vitamin C 213%
Calcium 15.5% Iron 10.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a 3-quart saucepan, over high heat, heat lard until a light haze forms over it.
2) SautÃ© onions for 8 to 10 minutes in it until lightly colored.
3) Mix in bacon and cook for about 5 minutes until lightly browned.
4) Stir in cabbage thoroughly, mixing well and then add in caraway seeds.
5) Cook the mixture, covered for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
6) Add in vinegar and water and seasonings and allow the liquid to come to a boil.
7) Cook the mixture, covered tightly for about 30 minutes over very low heat, stirring occasionally until the cabbage is moist (but not soupy) and done.
8) Add in a tablespoon or so of water if it seems dry during the cooking.
9) Serve hot.