- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Braised Baby Turkey with Cucumber and Artichoke Recipe
|Baby turkey/Large chicken, weighing 5 pound when dressed||1 Small (Prepared)|
|Beef dripping||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Plain flour||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Water||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Wine||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Streaky bacon||6 Ounce (Fatty, 175 Gram)|
|Cucumber||1 (About 9 Inches Long)|
|Canned artichoke bottoms||8 Ounce, sliced in half (Or Fresh, 175-225 Gram)|
|Lemon juice||To Taste|
Calories 287 Calories from Fat 93
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.5%
Saturated Fat 4.6 g23.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 19.4 mg
Sodium 532 mg22.2%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g7%
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 20 g40.1%
Vitamin A 0.4% Vitamin C 6.7%
Calcium 2.3% Iron 9.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Force down on to the turkey or chicken breastbone to snap its rib cage, and flatten the bird to the maximum limit.
2) Discard any excess fat and the parson's nose.
3) In a heavy saucepan, large enough to hold the bird, stir to melt the beef dripping.
4) Fry well any giblets till brown, then remove.
5) Place the turkey in the pan, breast side down, and cook until golden.
6) Turn it over and follow the same process.
7) Take out the bird.
8) Mix in the flour and keep mixing until it is a nice rich brown.
9) Now add the water and wine-together and mix until well blended and simmering.
10) Add the anchovies.
11)To the saucepan,return the turkey or chicken breast side up, and put any giblets (but not the liver) and the onion (cut in half and spiked with the cloves) around the bird.
12) Place the strips of bacon across the bird's breast.
13) Cover with lid and cook slowly on top of the stove for 15 minutes per pound (450 g), plus an extra 15 minutes.
14) Make the cucumber into two halves down the middle, take out the seeds and cut into 1/4ch (5 mm) thick segments.
15) Blanch for a few seconds in boiling water.
16) Cut the liver into slices.
17) When the turkey or chicken is cooked, move it on to a warm plate so that it will stay warm for atleast 30 min.
18) Strain the cooking liquid into another saucepan and cook to reduce it to a single cream consistency.
19) Add the sliced artichoke, the cucumber and the sliced liver.
20) Increase the tangy flavour of the sauce with a little lemon juice.
21) Now cut the bird into slices, and serve it with the sauce.