- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Braided Sesame Seed Bread Recipe
|Active dry yeast||4 Teaspoon (1 Tablespoon Plus 1 Teaspoon)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (105°-115°F)|
|Whole wheat flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs) (Measured Scoop And Level)|
|Gluten flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Measured Scoop And Level)|
|Skim milk powder||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Non Instant)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||3 Tablespoon (Or As Needed)|
|Sesame seeds/Topping||3 Tablespoon|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
Calories 757 Calories from Fat 149
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.6%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g13.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 53.1 mg
Sodium 465.1 mg19.4%
Total Carbohydrates 134 g44.6%
Dietary Fiber 20.2 g81%
Sugars 10.5 g
Protein 27 g53.1%
Vitamin A 1.5% Vitamin C 0.12%
Calcium 17.1% Iron 46.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Use a measuring cup, to sprinkle yeast over 1/2 cup warm water.
2) Place aside to stand in warm place for 5 minutes until it dissolves or puffs.
3) Pour in oil and honey.
4) In the food processor, use the PLASTIC DOUGH BLADE setting.
5) In the work bowl, add whole wheat flour, gluten flour, milk powder and salt. Pulse on/off to mix.
6) Pour in yeast mixture through the feed tube while the machine is running.
7) Also pour in remaining water in a steady stream, only as fast as the flour absorbs it. You may not require all the water.
8) Process the dough ball for 20 seconds and test the consistency for right elasticity, stickiness and wetness, by stopping the machine.
9) If it is not ready, then process for another 10 seconds.
10) Sprinkle with additional 1-2 tablespoons flour into the dough and pulse machine on/off to coat dough for easy removal from work bowl.
11) In an oiled bowl transfer the dough and turn over to oil the entire surface.
12) Cover the bowl with plastic bag or damp cloth and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1-1 1/4 hours.
13) Punch down dough and knead for 30 seconds to press out the bubbles.
14) Make 3 equal balls out of the dough and let rest by covering for 10-15 minutes.
15) To prepare the braid, roll each ball into strands 14 inches long.
16) Place the strands parallel to braid by pinching the tops together. Also pinch at the end.
17) Tuck the ends under the braid and pinch well.
18) Use a well- greased cookie sheet to place the braid.
19) Cover with plastic bag and let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
20) Preheat oven to 350Â°.
21) Brush the braid with egg glaze and sprinkle on sesame seeds.
22) Place the baking sheet inside the oven to bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
23) With a wide spatula, carefully transfer the loaf on metal rack to cool.
24) Serve the fragile bread with your choice of spread or dip.