- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Boulder Black Bean Soup Recipe
|Olive oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Medium||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm)|
|Oregano||1 Teaspoon, dried|
|Dried whole oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon, dried|
|Dried whole thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Black beans||3 Cup (48 tbs), rinsed|
|Canned black beans||3 Cup (48 tbs), rinsed, drained|
|Low-sodium chicken broth||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Tomatoes||2 , chopped|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
Calories 354 Calories from Fat 34
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6%
Saturated Fat 0.82 g4.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 44.2 mg1.8%
Total Carbohydrates 61 g20.3%
Dietary Fiber 14.5 g58%
Sugars 4.1 g
Protein 22 g43.9%
Vitamin A 6.8% Vitamin C 12.2%
Calcium 14.4% Iron 30.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large saucepan, heat oil and saute garlic and onions over medium flame for about 5 minutes.
2) Add in oregano, thyme, cumin, pepper and continue cooking for 1 more minute.
3) Meanwhile in a blender, puree half the quantity of beans to get a smooth puree. Add in a few tablespoons of chicken broth in between to help blend.
4) Stir in the bean puree into the saucepan along with the remaining half of whole beans and the chicken broth.
5) Let the mixture come to a steady boil before turning down the flame and cooking uncovered for about 30 more minutes.
6)Garnish the Boulder Black Bean Soup with diced tomotoes, chopped onions and shredded cheese.