- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Bototie - South African Meat Casserole Recipe
|Minced lamb||2 Pound|
|Milk||200 Milliliter (1 Cup)|
|Clarified butter/Oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Grated ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Curry powder||1 Teaspoon (You Can Add More If You Prefer It Stronger, But The Dish Is Meant To Have A Mild Curried Flavor)|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Seedless raisins||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 868 Calories from Fat 492
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 55 g84.6%
Saturated Fat 28.6 g143.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105.5 mg
Sodium 570.8 mg23.8%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17%
Dietary Fiber 8.5 g34.1%
Sugars 33.2 g
Protein 46 g91.9%
Vitamin A 13.9% Vitamin C 192.8%
Calcium 24.1% Iron 11.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Generously grease a baking dish or casserole.
2. Preheat your oven to 170ºC or 375 ºF
3. In a shallow dish, pour 100ml of milk over the bread and leave to soak.
4. In a large skillet heat the fat over a medium heat
5. Add the onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté for about a minute or two until the onion turns a lovely creamy golden color.
6. Squeeze out the bread from the milk and add it to the skillet with the mince meat.
7. Stir in the spices, seasonings, dried fruit and nuts.
8. Mix well to marry flavors and avoid lumps of mince. Cook until soft and cooked through, to the stage when meat is getting brown and not pink.
9. Check for seasoning and add anything you think is missing.
10. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the meat mixture to the casserole.
11. Reduce the gravy left in the skillet by gently cooking without a lid, until thick.
12. Pour it over the meat.
13. Beat together the remaining 100ml milk (using the milk in which bread was soaked) and the two eggs and pour the mixture over the meat.
14. Place lemon leaves (or bay leaves & a little grated lemon rind) on top.
15. Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes until the egg mixture has set.
16. Serve Bobotie accompanied with a chopped tomato and onion salad along with steaming hot yellow lentil rice