- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Boston Baked Beans Recipe
|Pea beans||2 Pound (1 quarter)|
|Brown sugar||4 Tablespoon|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt pork||3⁄4 Pound|
Calories 790 Calories from Fat 323
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g55.4%
Saturated Fat 12.7 g63.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 36.6 mg
Sodium 1345.7 mg56.1%
Total Carbohydrates 93 g30.9%
Dietary Fiber 27.7 g110.7%
Sugars 23.6 g
Protein 28 g55%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0.01%
Calcium 21.3% Iron 41.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash the beans and soak overnight in water.
2. Scrape pork rind. Cut gashes in fat 1/2 apart.
3. Preheat oven to 275°.
4. Drain out beans from water the next day.
5. Keep in a saucepan with water and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until skins burst.
6. Transfer along with water into bean pot or heavy casserole.
7. In a small bowl mix salt, brown sugar, molasses, and mustard with 1 cup boiling water.
8. Pour the mixture over beans.
9. Press the pork into beans leaving only rind exposed.
10. Cover the pot and bake in slow oven for 6 to 8 hours without stirring. Add more water if required.
11. Remove cover 1/2 hour before baking is over.
12. Serve hot.