- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Boeuf a la Mode en Gelee Recipe
|Carrots||3 Medium, pared, 1/2-inch sliced|
|Brussels sprouts||1 Pint, washed, trimmed and halved lengthwise|
|Condensed beef broth||2 Can (20 oz)|
|Water||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Unflavored gelatin||2 Tablespoon (2 Envelopes)|
|Madeira/Dry sherry||3 Tablespoon|
|Liquid red pepper seasoning||6 Drop|
|Beef roast/Steak||1 Pound, cooked, thinly sliced|
|Watercress||1 Tablespoon (Or As Required)|
|Horseradish dressing||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (As Required)|
Calories 487 Calories from Fat 200
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g34.2%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g22.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 116.7 mg
Sodium 1561.9 mg65.1%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g6%
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g23.4%
Sugars 6.4 g
Protein 52 g103.9%
Vitamin A 173.4% Vitamin C 177.3%
Calcium 7.5% Iron 10.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a pan with the boiling salted water, cook the carrots and Brussels sprouts individually for 15 minutes, or until just tender, drain well and
2) In a medium bowl, mix the beef broth and water.
3) In a small saucepan, soak the gelatin in 1 cup of broth for 5 minutes to soften.
4) Stir continuously and heat until the gelatin is dissolved, then stir into rest of the broth in the bowl.
5) Stir in the Madeira and red-pepper seasoning.
6) In a 11x7x1 1/2-inch pan or a 8-cup shallow mold, pour 3/4 cup of the gelatin mixture and place in a larger pan with ice and water, until syrupy.
7) Arrange few Brussels sprouts and carrots along sides of the pan.
8) Bundle the roast or steak slices in 12 rolls and place 6 bundles down at the center of the pan, evenly spacing apart, then spoon some gelatin mixture.
9) Arrange some Brussels sprouts against sides of the pan and cover the meat with the gelatin mixture, then refrigerate until syrupy and firm.
10) Arrange rest of the meat and vegetables over the first layer in the pan. Then place in the refrigerator and cover the meat and vegetables with rest of the gelatin
11) Refrigerate for several hours or overnight until set.
12) Turn the mold over a serving platter and lift gently to unmold.
13) Garnish the border with watercress, if desired and serve with the horseradish dressing.