- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Black Forest Cake Recipe Video
|All purpose flour||11 Ounce (for Chocolate Cake)|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder||1 Ounce (for Chocolate Cake)|
|Baking soda||1 Ounce (for Chocolate Cake)|
|Salt||1 Ounce (for Chocolate Cake)|
|Shortening||4 Ounce (for Chocolate Cake)|
|Granulated sugar||11 Ounce (for Chocolate Cake + 5 Ounce for Cherry Filling)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Ounce (for Chocolate Cake + 1 Teaspoon for Chantilly Cream)|
|Egg yolks||3 Large (for Chocolate Cake)|
|Egg whites||3 Large (for Chocolate Cake)|
|Water||10 Ounce, cold (for Chocolate Cake)|
|Fresh cherries||10 Ounce, pitted and halved (Dark Sweet Cherries preferred for Cherry Filling)|
|Unsweetened cherry juice||5 Ounce (for Cherry Filling)|
|Cornstarch||3 Ounce (for Cherry Filling)|
|Powdered sugar||1 Ounce (for Chantilly Cream)|
|Heavy cream||24 Ounce (for Chantilly Cream)|
|Simple syrup||6 Ounce (as needed mixture of 3 ounces of kirsch and 4 ounces of syrup)|
|Chocolate||6 Ounce, shaved (as needed)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 8084 Calories from Fat 3821
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 436 g670.5%
Saturated Fat 222.4 g1112.1%
Trans Fat 14.9 g
Cholesterol 1487.5 mg
Sodium 19342.2 mg805.9%
Total Carbohydrates 1014 g338.1%
Dietary Fiber 34.6 g138.3%
Sugars 496.4 g
Protein 79 g158.7%
Vitamin A 216.6% Vitamin C 39.9%
Calcium 73.6% Iron 156.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake : Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Prepare two 9-inch cake pans, grease and place a piece of parchment paper.
3) In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together.
4) In mixing bowl, beat the egg whites till frothy; gradually add 5 ounce sugar while beating, then continue beating till medium peaks form. Remove from mixing bowl and set aside.
5) In a mixing bowl beat the shortening to soften. Add the remaining sugar and vanilla extract and beat till fluffy.
6) Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating on medium speed for 1 minute after each. Scrape the bowl as necessary.
7) Add dry ingredients and water alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition till just combined.
8) Fold egg white mixture into batter; combine well. Turn the batter into prepared pans about 50 to 75% full. Spread batter evenly
9) Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or till cake tests done. Cool 15 to 20 minutes on wire racks. Remove from pans; cool thoroughly on racks.
10) Cherry Filling : In a pot, combine about but 1 ounce of the cherry juice and the granulated sugar and bring to a simmer.
11) Add half the cherries, cover the pot, and all to simmer for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove the cover then bring to a boil.
12) Meanwhile whisk the remaining granulated sugar and the cornstarch, then whisk in the remaining cherry juice.
13) Add the cornstarch mixture to the boiling cherry mixture and bring to a gentle boil on medium to medium high heat. Cook for 1 to 3 minutes while whisking continuously. Remove from heat and whisk in the remaining cherries.
14) Chantilly Cream : In an electric mixer bowl, place all the ingredients together
15) Using the whip attachment whip the ingredients on medium to high speed until the desired consistency is reached.
16) Glue the cake to the 9-inch cake cardboard with a dab of chantilly cream. Lightly soak with the simple syrup. Pipe a ring of chantilly cream along the edge of the layer. Pipe a spiral of chantilly then fill the space between the spiral with the cherry filling.
17) Place the remaining cake layer on top and soak with simple syrup. Ice the cake with the chantilly cream.
18) Lift up the cake and apply the shaved chocolate pieces along the sides of the cake. Place the cake on a presentation cake board.
19) Pipe a shell border with the chantilly cream and fill with the cherry filling. Pipe 12 to 16 rosettes around the edge of the cake instead of a shell border and top each rosette with a cherry.
20) Serve immediately or store refrigerated for up to 5 days.