- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Southern Style Black Eyed Peas Recipe Video
|Green onion||5 Medium, chopped (or white onion- 1, large)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), chopped finely|
|Black eyed peas||16 Ounce, dry|
|Smoked turkey slices||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped (Optional)|
|Chicken broth||8 Cup (128 tbs) (or enough to cover the beans)|
|Red pepper flakes||To Taste (Optional)|
|Black pepper||To Taste (Optional)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2071 Calories from Fat 371
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 42 g64.9%
Saturated Fat 6.7 g33.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 60.8 mg
Sodium 6193.6 mg258.1%
Total Carbohydrates 291 g96.9%
Dietary Fiber 51.5 g206.1%
Sugars 12.3 g
Protein 143 g286.7%
Vitamin A 51.9% Vitamin C 66.3%
Calcium 45.4% Iron 261.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Sort and wash the black eyed peas. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, heat olive oil on medium and saute the onions and garlic until tender.
3. Add in the chopped meat, black eye peas, & chicken broth.
4. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until black eyed peas are tender.
5. Remove from heat and let sit covered for about 15 minutes.
6. Season with red pepper & black pepper if desired.
7. In a serving plate, serve the beans with choice of main dish.