- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Black Eyed Peas Recipe Video
|Pancetta||1⁄4 Pound, diced|
|Onion||1 Medium, diced|
|Garlic cloves||4 , minced|
|Jalapeno||1 , cut in half (half diced with seeds and half without)|
|Black eyed peas||8 Cup (128 tbs), soaked overnight|
|Canned diced tomatoes||14 Ounce|
|Bay leaf||1 Medium|
Calories 444 Calories from Fat 48
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8.4%
Saturated Fat 2 g9.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 6.7 mg
Sodium 297.1 mg12.4%
Total Carbohydrates 73 g24.2%
Dietary Fiber 13.2 g52.8%
Sugars 0.8 g
Protein 29 g58.7%
Vitamin A 5.7% Vitamin C 11.6%
Calcium 11.5% Iron 66%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a hot pan over medium high heat, put pancetta and allow to cook until golden brown, for about 3-5 minutes, stirring continuously.
2. Turn the heat to medium, add in the onions and salt, and cook until they get translucent, for 5 minutes more, scrap the bottom of pan occasionally.
3. Stir in minced garlic and the diced jalapeno, cook for another minute.
4. Add the black eyed peas, and stir well to mix.
5. Stir in diced tomato, and add beef broth, and bay leaf.
6. Turn the heat to a medium low, cover and allow to simmer for 30 minutes, and check occasionally and add stock or water if needed.
7. Add in salt and pepper and stir to mix.
8. Serve hot as desired.