- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Black Eyed Pea Soup Recipe Video
|Bacon fat||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Chicken stock/Beef or vegetable||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Mushroom||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Black eyed peas||1 Cup (16 tbs), soaked and par boiled|
|Spinach leaves||2 Cup (32 tbs), blanched|
|Tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped (red and yellow tomatoes)|
|Basil||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Chives||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Salt and pepper||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
Calories 358 Calories from Fat 85
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g14.6%
Saturated Fat 3 g14.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 19.5 mg6.5%
Sodium 967.3 mg40.3%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.4%
Dietary Fiber 6.5 g26.1%
Sugars 9 g
Protein 23 g46.2%
Vitamin A 45.4% Vitamin C 31.8%
Calcium 9.5% Iron 33.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a saute pan on medium high, melt bacon fat, add garlic, ham and stir fry for about 2 minutes.
2. Stir in the black eyed peas, onions and stir fry for about 2 minutes.
3. Pour in the chicken stock, mix well and bring it to a boil.
4. Once it starts boiling, add mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, basil, chives, salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Let this simmer for another 3 minutes on medium high until thick. After 3 minutes, switch off the heat and get ready to serve.
5. In a soup bowl, ladle about 4 tablespoonful of the black eyed pea soup and serve hot garnished with some basil leaves.