- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Black Eyed Pea Curry Recipe
|Onion||1 , coarsely chopped|
|Curry powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped tomatoes||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped red pepper||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped carrot||1 Tablespoon|
|Black eyed peas||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Water||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Hot red peppers||2|
Calories 687 Calories from Fat 168
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.6%
Saturated Fat 2.9 g14.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 580.7 mg24.2%
Total Carbohydrates 99 g33%
Dietary Fiber 19.9 g79.8%
Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 36 g72.3%
Vitamin A 36.6% Vitamin C 57.8%
Calcium 18.4% Iron 93.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a small bowl, combine the curry powder, tomatoes, red pepper and carrot.
2) Thoroughly wash and drain the peas and keep aside.
3) In a large saute pan, add oil and heat up to sauté onions and cardamom pods till brown.
4) Add the spice mixture.
5) Add the peas along with a can of water.
6) Allow the liquid to boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes by placing the lid on top.
7) Season the preparation with salt and hot, red pepper just 5 minutes before serving.
8) Serve as a side dish with hot rice by garnishing with finely chopped cilantro.