- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Black Eyed Pea And Ham Casserole Recipe
|Dried black eyed peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Low sodium low fat baked ham||12 Ounce|
|Onions||2 , chopped|
|Sweet peppers||2 , coarsely chopped (Red Or Green)|
|Canned tomatoes||14 Ounce, crushed (1 Can)|
|Chicken stock||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
Calories 304 Calories from Fat 79
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.4%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 23.6 mg
Sodium 602.6 mg25.1%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.5%
Dietary Fiber 6.1 g24.6%
Sugars 6.4 g
Protein 23 g45.3%
Vitamin A 21.9% Vitamin C 95.1%
Calcium 7.4% Iron 25.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Keep the peas in a pan filled with cold water for about 8 hours. Drain the peas.
3. In a Dutch oven, heat the oil on low flame. Add the in the pan ham and saute for 5 minutes or until browned.
4. Add the onions, sweet peppers and saute for 5 minutes or until tender and slightly browned.
5. Stir in the peas, tomatoes, stock, 2 cups water, and bay leaf.
6. Bring to a boil and keep boiling for 10 minutes. Cover the lid on the casserole and bake for another 50 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
7. Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf.
8. Season the casserole dish using pepper and parsley. Serve hot.