- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Black Eyed Muffins Recipe
|Margarine||4 Teaspoon (1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon)|
|Diced onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Diced celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Diced carrot||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Canned black eyed peas||10 Ounce, rinsed and drained|
|Seasoned dried bread crumbs||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , slightly beaten|
|Monterey jack cheese||1 Ounce, shredded|
|Hot sauce||4 Drop|
Calories 140 Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.7%
Saturated Fat 1.9 g9.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 75.6 mg
Sodium 361.5 mg15.1%
Total Carbohydrates 14 g4.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.9%
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 7 g13.9%
Vitamin A 45.7% Vitamin C 4.1%
Calcium 6.8% Iron 7.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2) In a small nonstick skillet, heat margarine.
3) Once melted, add vegetables and garlic.
4) Over high heat, saute for 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Stir constantly while cooking.
5) To a medium mixing bowl, transfer the cooked vegetables.
6) To the bowl, add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
7) Now, with nonstick cooking spray, grease eight 2 1/2-inch diameter muffin pan cups. Into each cup, spoon 1/8 of batter each.
8) Now, with water, partially fill the remaining cups to avoid burning the pan and/or warping.
9) Place in the middle of the center oven rack and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
10) Now, from the oven, remove the pan. The water in the pan will be very hot now.
11) Now, gently drain off the water.
12) Let the muffins cool in the same pan for 5 minutes.
13) After 5 minutes, remove muffins from the pan and keep on a wire rack to cool.
14) The Black Eyed Muffin is a perfect and healthy variation from the usual snacks. Serve it immediately along with your favorite drink.