- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Indian Black Eyed Beans Curry Recipe Video
|Black eyed beans||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Lobia / Chawalie)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon (Jeera)|
|Asafoetida||1 Pinch (Hing)|
|Coriander powder||1 Tablespoon (Dhania)|
|Ginger||1 Tablespoon, shredded (Adrak)|
|Red chili powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Haldi)|
|Mango powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Amchoor)|
|Garam masala||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Tomato||1 , chopped|
|Green chili||2 , for garnish (Or Red One)|
|Lemon wedges||2 (For Garnish)|
Calories 246 Calories from Fat 84
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g14.8%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 527.3 mg22%
Total Carbohydrates 32 g10.6%
Dietary Fiber 7.1 g28.6%
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 12 g23%
Vitamin A 7.5% Vitamin C 34.5%
Calcium 8.6% Iron 33.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash and soak beans for one hour or more.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the ginger, green chili, coriander powder, turmeric, and 3 tablespoons of water to make a smooth paste.
3. Heat the oil in pressure cooker on medium heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready.
4. Add the cumin seeds and as they crack add asafetida and spice paste; stir for a minute until spices start to leave oil.
5. In a pressure cooker, add the black-eyed beans, salt and water and close the lid; as pressure cooker starts steaming turn the heat down to medium and cook for about 6-7 minutes.
6. Turn off the heat and wait until steam has stopped before opening the pressure cooker. Black-eyed beans should be soft and tender.
7. Add mango powder, garam masala, and tomatoes cover the cooker for few minutes. As it will semi cook the tomatoes with steam.
8. Garnish the dish with chilies and lemon wedges,
9. Serve hot with Indian bread.
Making a paste with the spices will prevent the spices from burning.