- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Herbed Black Bean Soup Recipe
|Black beans||1 Pound|
|Onion||1 , stuck with 2 cloves|
|Green pepper||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Dry sherry||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onion||1 , chopped (For Garnish)|
Calories 596 Calories from Fat 144
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g25.1%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g11.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 116.7 mg4.9%
Total Carbohydrates 89 g29.5%
Dietary Fiber 20.6 g82.5%
Sugars 10.5 g
Protein 27 g53.3%
Vitamin A 11.9% Vitamin C 75.1%
Calcium 19.5% Iron 39.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Soak black beans for about 12 hours in water to cover.
2) To the same water add onion stuck with cloves, bay leaf and parsley.
3) Now allow water to a boil and cook beans until soft.
4) Cook onion, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender.
5) Add the above to the beans along with the remaining ingredients and cook until the mixture slightly thickens.
6) Ladle in dry sherry and serve with finely chopped, raw onion scattered on top. (If a smooth soup is desired, puree in a blender.)