- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Bisi Bele Bath Recipe
|Toor dal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), washed|
|Rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), washed|
|Vegetable||2 Cup (32 tbs), chop (carrot, beans, and potato)|
|Green peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chop|
|Bell pepper||1 , chop (I used red, yellow, and green bell pepper)|
|Tamarind juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (more or less to taste)|
|Turmeric powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs) (or as needed)|
|For sambar paste|
|Chana dal||3 Tablespoon|
|Coriander seeds||3 Tablespoon|
|Fenugreek seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Dry red chilli||3 Gram (3 or more to taste)|
|Grated coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Black mustard seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Chana dal||1 Tablespoon|
|Grated coconut||3 Tablespoon (Leveled) (2 1/2-3)|
|Curry leaves||3 Tablespoon (3-4 sprigs)|
Calories 943 Calories from Fat 317
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g57.1%
Saturated Fat 13.4 g67.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 13.4 mg
Sodium 210.4 mg8.8%
Total Carbohydrates 133 g44.2%
Dietary Fiber 29.7 g118.9%
Sugars 13 g
Protein 32 g64.1%
Vitamin A 115.1% Vitamin C 118.2%
Calcium 26.8% Iron 61%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Chop vegetables, bell pepper, and onion. Set aside.
2. For sambar paste, place a skillet on low- medium flame and heat oil in it.
3. Drop chana dal, coriander seed, fenugreek seed, and red chilli. Fry until golden brown.
4. Add grated coconut and fry for 2-3 minutes. Remove the skillet from flame and allow it to cool.
5. Put the mixture in blender, and grind until smooth. Set aside.
6. In cooker, drop washed toor dal, rice, beans, peas, carrot, potato, turmeric powder, and water. Cover and cook until done.
7. Meanwhile, place a skillet on flame; pour oil and saute onion, and bell pepper in it.
8. Drop sauteed bell pepper, onion, tamarind juice, and salt in cooker with rice. Let it simmer for 5-8 minutes. Add more water if required.
9. Add sambar paste and give it a good stir. Simmer on medium- low flame for additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
10. For tempering, place skillet on flame and heat oil and ghee in it.
11. Drop mustard seed in hot oil and allow it to crackle.
12. Throw chana dal, and peanuts. Fry on low for 5 minutes or until light golden.
13. Add cashew and fry for another 1-2 minutes.
14. Drop grated coconut and curry leaves. Stir and fry for a minute. Put tempering in cooker. Stir well.
15. Serve bisi bele bath hot with fried appalam.