- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Biryani With Onions Recipe
|Basmati rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), rinsed|
|Red lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs), rinsed|
|Cardamom pods||6 , split|
|Ground turmeric||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon stick||1 , broken|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Cauliflower florets||8 Ounce (225 Grams)|
|Carrot||1 Large, diced|
|Frozen peas||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Scant)|
|Golden raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable stock||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Naan/Bread||2 (To Serve)|
|Caramelized onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Red onion||1 , shredded|
|Onion||1 , shredded|
|Superfine sugar||2 Teaspoon|
Calories 866 Calories from Fat 61
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.9%
Saturated Fat 1.4 g6.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3.1 mg
Sodium 1066.2 mg44.4%
Total Carbohydrates 169 g56.2%
Dietary Fiber 24.4 g97.6%
Sugars 38.3 g
Protein 32 g63.9%
Vitamin A 99.5% Vitamin C 93.8%
Calcium 18% Iron 42.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Cut the veggies, as desired
2) In a large pan, combine rice, lentils, spices, onion, bay leafs, carrot, peas, cauliflower and raisins.
3) Season the mixture with salt and pepper and stir in stock.
4) Boil the stock and keep on low heat to simmer with cover for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
5) Remove the pan from heta and leave it covered for 10 minutes.
6) Discard bat leafs and whole spices.
7) Gently mix the veggies and rice and biryani is ready to serve.
7) Onto warmed serving plates, serve the biryani topped with caramalized onions.
8) Serve nan or bread along with biryani.
TIP: Caramalized onion is prepared by sauteeing the sliced onions ina hot pan with oil for 3-4 minutes. Sugar is added to the pana nd cooked for 2-3 minutes on high heat until the onions are browned.