- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Biryani With Caramelized Onions Recipe
|Basmati rice||6 Ounce, rinsed (175 Gram, 1 Cup)|
|Red lentils||2 Ounce, rinsed (60 Gram, 1/3 Cup)|
|Cardamom pods||6 , split|
|Ground turmeric||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon stick||1 , broken|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Cauliflower||8 Ounce, broken into small florets (225 Gram)|
|Carrot||1 Large, diced|
|Frozen peas||3 1⁄2 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Sultanas||2 Ounce (60 Gram, Golden Raisins)|
|Vegetable stock||1 Pint (600 Milliliter, 2 1/2 Cups, Fresh)|
|Naan bread||2 (For Serving)|
|For caramelized onions|
|Vegetable oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Red onion||1 Medium, shredded|
|Onion||1 Medium, shredded|
|Superfine caster sugar||2 Teaspoon|
Calories 467 Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8.1%
Saturated Fat 1 g5.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2.3 mg
Sodium 611.6 mg25.5%
Total Carbohydrates 93 g31%
Dietary Fiber 10.8 g43.3%
Sugars 21.2 g
Protein 14 g27.5%
Vitamin A 71.2% Vitamin C 68.2%
Calcium 11.7% Iron 22.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large saucepan, put the lentils, spices, rice, bay leaf, onion, cauliflower, carrot, peas and sultanas in a large saucepan, add the salt and pepper to taste and mix together.
2) Stir in the stock, allow to the boil, then simmer covered for 15 minutes, stir frequently and cook until the rice is tender.
3) Turn off the heat, cover and allow to stand, for 10 minutes. Discard the cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
4) In a frying pan or skillet, saute the onions over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until slightly soft. Stir in the caster sugar, increase the heat, stir and cook for further 2-3 minutes until the onions are golden brown in colour.
5) Gently stir in the rice and vegetables and place on warm serving plates.
6) Spoon the caramelized onions over the biryani and serve with warm plain naan.