- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Big Meatball Stew Recipe
|Ground beef||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Onion||1 Small, minced|
|Dried bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Carrots||3 Medium, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks|
|Potatoes||2 Medium, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes|
|Medium mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound|
|Zucchini||8 Ounce, sliced 1/2 inch thick (1 Medium Sized)|
|Eggplant||8 Ounce, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks (1 Small)|
|Canned tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|All purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3062 Calories from Fat 1720
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 191 g294.5%
Saturated Fat 68.7 g343.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 691.5 mg
Sodium 2403.8 mg100.2%
Total Carbohydrates 211 g70.3%
Dietary Fiber 45.2 g180.8%
Sugars 31.7 g
Protein 161 g321.8%
Vitamin A 745.3% Vitamin C 370.4%
Calcium 56.8% Iron 147.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. In 8-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat, in 3 tablespoons hot salad oil, cook meat balls until well browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove meatballs to large bowl.
3. In same Dutch oven over medium heat, in drippings, cook carrots and potatoes, stirring frequently, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove vegetables to bowl with meatballs.
4. In same Dutch oven, in 2 more tablespoons hot salad oil, cook mushrooms, zucchini, and eggplant, stirring frequently, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
5. Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, 3/4 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon thyme. Return meatballs and vegetables to Dutch oven; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 35 minutes.
6. In cup, blend flour with 2 tablespoons water; gradually stir into hot stew in Dutch oven and cook, stirring, until liquid thickens slightly.