- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Big Meal Soup Recipe
|Dry green split peas/Dry yellow split peas||1 Pound, rinsed and soaked overnight in water|
|Water||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
|Ham bone/Smoked pork hocks - 1 pound||1 Pound (1 Bone)|
|Carrots||2 Medium, coarsely chopped to make 1 cup|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Canned tomatoes||16 Ounce, cut up (1 Can)|
|Green pepper||1 Medium, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Celery stalk||1 , chopped to make 1/2 cup|
Calories 428 Calories from Fat 124
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.2%
Saturated Fat 4.2 g21%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 70.3 mg23.4%
Sodium 1553.7 mg64.7%
Total Carbohydrates 45 g15%
Dietary Fiber 7.3 g29.3%
Sugars 7.7 g
Protein 37 g74.1%
Vitamin A 122.2% Vitamin C 77.5%
Calcium 7.5% Iron 16.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a saucepan, combine split peas, water, ham bone or pork hocks, carrots, onion and salt; bring the mixture to boil.
2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 60 minutes or till peas are tender.
3. Remove ham bone and cut off meat; discard the bones.
4. Press half the pea mixture through a sieve and return to saucepan.
5. Stir in meat, un-drained tomatoes, green pepper, and celery; simmer for about 20 minutes or till celery and green pepper are done.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper
7. Arrange the soup into individual serving bowl and serve immediately with toasted garlic bread.