- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mediterranean Kusa Mahshi Recipe Video
|Mexican squash/Zucchini||10 Small|
|Ground beef/Lamb||1 Pound|
|White rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), rinsed|
|Garlic||3 Teaspoon, minced|
|Salt||To Taste (or 1 tablespoon-stuffing; 1/2 teaspoon-sauce)|
|Black pepper powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dried mint||1 Teaspoon|
|Canned tomato sauce||20 Ounce (1 can)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
Calories 418 Calories from Fat 186
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g31.9%
Saturated Fat 7.5 g37.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 53.3 mg
Sodium 625.1 mg26%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.5%
Dietary Fiber 7 g27.9%
Sugars 8.2 g
Protein 18 g37%
Vitamin A 14.2% Vitamin C 50%
Calcium 8% Iron 22%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Rinse squash. Cut off the tops. Core out the middle of the squash with a corer.
2. In a large bowl mix ground meat, rice, half of the garlic, 1 tablespoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
3. Lightly fill in the rice stuffing into the squash, about 2 tablespoon each, and continue until all the squash are stuffed.
4. In a large pot add tomato sauce, water, and salt and bring to a simmer.
5. To the tomato sauce, add remainder of the garlic and dried mint and stir. Slowly drop the squash into the tomato sauce and cover.
6. Cook for about 35-45 minutes on medium heat. Let squash sit for 20 minutes before serving.
7. In a serving bowl garnish with parsley leaves and serve with toasted pita bread on the side.