- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Best Of All Fruit Cake Recipe
|Golden raisins||1 Pound|
|Seeded raisins||1⁄2 Pound|
|Dark rum/Brandy||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Candied pineapple||1 Pound|
|Candied red cherries||1⁄2 Pound|
|Candied citron||1⁄4 Pound|
|Candied lemon peel||1⁄8 Pound|
|Candied orange peel||1⁄8 Pound|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Ground mace||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Almonds||1⁄4 Pound, shelled, blanched, and coarsely chopped|
|Walnuts/Pecans||1⁄4 Pound, shelled and coarsely chopped|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 stick)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (tightly packed)|
|Eggs||5 , slightly beaten|
|Almond extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Canned almond paste||8 Ounce (1 can)|
Calories 1049 Calories from Fat 247
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.5%
Saturated Fat 8.2 g40.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 130.1 mg
Sodium 191.8 mg8%
Total Carbohydrates 195 g64.9%
Dietary Fiber 8 g32.1%
Sugars 141 g
Protein 13 g26.5%
Vitamin A 8.8% Vitamin C 36.6%
Calcium 13.5% Iron 22.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 275F.
2. Line a 10-inch tube pan. Lay the pan on a sheet of heavy brown paper then draw a 16 1/2-inch circle, and cut out. Set the pan in the center of circle and draw around base of pan and tube. Make sure that the pencil lines are on the outside and then fold paper into eighths and snip off tip. Unfold circle; cut along folds to second circle. Grease both the tube pan and un-penciled side of paper well. Fit paper, greased side up, into pan.
3. Use a sharp knife to cut the pineapple into thin wedges.
4. Cut the cherries into half
5. Cut the citron, lemon and orange peels into very thin strips
6. Mix the raisins and currants and the fruit peels together
7. On a sheet of waxed paper, sift the 1-1/2 cup of flour with the spices and the baking soda and set aside
8. Combine the rest of the ½ cup of flour with nuts and fruits and toss lightly
9. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed till light and fluffy. As the mixer is moving, add the granulated sugar and the brown sugar and beat well again till it is fluffy.
10. Add the eggs, milk and almond extract till completely combined.
11. At low speed, add the flour mixture and beat well again and turn the batter on to the fruit and nuts. Mix well with hands and then gently lay the batter into the prepared pan. Press down in the pan till evenly pressed down. Bake for 3 hours 15 minutes till done.
12. When the cake is done, remove from hot oven and set aside on a wire rack to cool down.
13. Wrap the cake with cheesecloth dipped in rum or brandy and store for later in a closed tin.
14. The cake can be decorated with an almond paste sheet. Roll out the almond paste between 2 sheets of waxed paper
15. Remove top sheet of paper and invert on to the cake
16. Use a sharp knife to trim the edges of the paste and press paste on to the cake. Spread the paste with frosting glaze and let it run down the sides of the cake.
17. Decorate the cake with cut angelica and cut cherries.
18. Serve at room temperature