- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ben's Classic Shepherd's Pie with a Tangy Twist Recipe Video
|Lamb mince||675 Gram|
|Onion||1 Medium, dice|
|Carrot||1 Large, dice|
|Cooking oil/Olive oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Green pea||100 Gram|
|Tomato puree/Catsup||6 Teaspoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||6 Teaspoon|
|Rosemary||6 Teaspoon, chopped finely|
|Dried mixed herbs||2 Teaspoon|
|Lamb stock/Vegetable stock||425 Milliliter (hot lamb or vegetable stock made with a lamb or vegetable stock cube and boiling water)|
|Sweet chili sauce||30 Milliliter|
|Regular salt||To Taste|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Potato||1 Kilogram, peeled and cut into medium chunks (suitable for mashing)|
|Whole milk||100 Milliliter|
|Butter/Melted margarine||50 Gram|
|Oaxaca cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), shredded (Optional)|
Calories 960 Calories from Fat 502
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 56 g86.4%
Saturated Fat 26.1 g130.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 157.4 mg
Sodium 751.3 mg31.3%
Total Carbohydrates 74 g24.7%
Dietary Fiber 9.8 g39.2%
Sugars 12.1 g
Protein 42 g83.3%
Vitamin A 77.4% Vitamin C 112.6%
Calcium 22% Iron 38%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. For the minced meat mixture: Heat a pan and drop the cooking oil in it.
3. Add the diced onions and the carrots and cook until they sweat.
4. Drop the minced meat in batches and start browning it.
5. At this stage, you can discard some of the excess fat that gets withdrawn from the meat.
6. Throw in the peas and stir.
7. Spoon in the flour and stir to get it incorporated.
8. Drop the tomato puree and the Worcestershire sauce.
9. Add the chopped fresh rosemary and the sweet chili sauce.
10. Season with salt and pepper to taste and pour in the vegetable stock.
11. Turn the heat down, cover and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
12. For the mashed potatoes: In a large sauce pan, place the peeled and diced potatoes.
13. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
14. Add milk and butter and mash together.
15. In an oven proof dish, empty the cooked minced meat mixture.
16. Top with the mashed potato.
17. Shred some cheese on top and pop in the oven for 30 mins.
18. Serve while it is warm with a side of steamed carrots and broccoli.