- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Beef Steak Casserole With Dumpling Top Recipe
|Stewing steak||12 Ounce|
|Seasoned flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dripping/Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Ounce|
|Onion||1 , sliced|
|Carrots||2 , sliced|
|Celery stalks||2 , chopped|
|Condensed tomato soup||26 Ounce (Or 1 Small Tin)|
|Water||5 Ounce (Or Half Soup Can)|
|Self-raising flour||4 Ounce|
|Shredded beef suet||2 Ounce|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (To Mix)|
Calories 1174 Calories from Fat 489
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 54 g83.7%
Saturated Fat 25.1 g125.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 87.1 mg
Sodium 2334.1 mg97.3%
Total Carbohydrates 119 g39.6%
Dietary Fiber 7.9 g31.5%
Sugars 35.9 g
Protein 48 g96.9%
Vitamin A 231.6% Vitamin C 40.7%
Calcium 28.7% Iron 39.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) With a knife trim fat or gristle from the meat. Cut meat into neat pieces.
2) Dredge pieces in seasoned flour.
3) In a medium-sized saucepan heat fat and brown meat over moderate heat.
4) Take out meat and add vegetables till brown.
5) Add meat, soup and water. Adjust seasoning.
6) Cover pan and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
7) Prepare dumpling top in a basin with sieved flour, salt, suet and enough water to make a firm dough.
8) Lightly flour a surface and work out dough in it. Pat into a circle approximately the size of the pan.
9) Take off lid and put dough on top of the meat. Replace lid and simmer for a further 3/4-1 hour till cooked.
10) Cut into half.
11) Serve with the meat, vegetables and gravy.