- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Beef Wellington Recipe
|Beef fillet||6 Pound|
|Burgundy/Claret||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Condensed beef broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Meat extract paste||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 517 Calories from Fat 322
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g54.9%
Saturated Fat 14.4 g71.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 143.4 mg
Sodium 393.6 mg16.4%
Total Carbohydrates 3 g0.9%
Dietary Fiber 0.1 g0.41%
Sugars 0.1 g
Protein 39 g78.4%
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0.77%
Calcium 4.8% Iron 16.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. The day before make Brioche Dough.
To roast filet of beef early the next day :
2. Preheat oven to 450F.
3. Remove most of surface fat from filet and wipe with damp paper towels.
4. Place filet on rack in shallow, open roasting pan, tucking narrow end under, to make roast uniformly thick.
5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and insert meat thermometer into thickest part.
6. Roast 40 to 50 minutes or to 140F on meat thermometer, for rare about 60 minutes or to 160F, for medium rare.
7. Let the roast cool in pan and reserve pan drippings for Truffle Sauce.
8. About 3 hours before serving, lightly grease large cookie sheet.
9. Turn out Brioche Dough onto lightly floured pastry cloth and roll into a 16-by-15-inch rectangle.
10. Trim 1 inch dough from short side and set aside for decoration.
11. Drain truffles, reserving liquid for sauce and chop truffles.
12. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon truffles over dough and press gently into surface.
13. Set remaining truffles aside for sauce.
14. Center filet lengthwise on dough.
15. Bring long sides of dough over filet, one at a time, pressing edges to seal.
16. Pinch ends together and reroll dough trimmings 1/8 inch thick.
17. Using pastry wheel, cut into four strips, 1/2 inch wide.
18. Arrange strips over top of dough.
19. Transfer filet to prepared cookie sheet.
20. Cover with towel and let rise in warm place (85F), free from drafts, until dough doubles in bulk—about 1 hour.
21. Preheat oven to 400F.
22. Beat egg with 1 teaspoon water and gently brush over dough.
23. Bake for 20 minutes until deep golden-brown.
24. Cover top lightly with foil and bake 10 minutes longer.
25. Let it stand on cookie sheet on wire rack 20 minutes before slicing.
To make Truffle Sauce:
26. Add wine to reserved drippings in roasting pan.
27. Over medium heat, bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve brown bits.
28. Reduce heat and simmer gently, uncovered, 10 minutes.
29. Strain if necessary skim off excess fat and turn into small saucepan.
30. In a bowl combine flour with 2 tablespoons cold water and the beef broth and stir into wine mixture with meat-extract paste and salt.
31. Bring to boiling, stirring.
32. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute, or until mixture is thickened.
33. Add reserved truffles and truffle liquid and stir well.
34. Cut filet crosswise into 1-inch slices and arrange on serving platter.
35. Garnish with watercress and serve passing the sauce.