- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Beef Paupiettes Recipe
|Beef round||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut|
|Dijon mustard||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Salt pork||3 Ounce|
|Cooked chicken/Pork||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Parsley||4 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Mixed green vegetables||1 Pound (Onions, Carrots, Turnips, Peas, Green Beans, Parsnips)|
|Beef drippings/Lard||3 Tablespoon|
|Beef stock||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4310 Calories from Fat 2883
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 323 g496.9%
Saturated Fat 154.6 g772.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1060.9 mg
Sodium 4450.3 mg185.4%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.4%
Dietary Fiber 14.1 g56.2%
Sugars 4.5 g
Protein 214 g428.8%
Vitamin A 510.2% Vitamin C 82.3%
Calcium 73.6% Iron 97.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Place the beef slices between two pieces of waxed paper; and pound them to wafer thin slices. A slice should measure about 4 square inches.
3. Spoon little bit of mustard on each slice and sprinkle the salt and ground pepper over it for seasoning.
4. Dice the pork or chicken.
5. Peel and chop the garlic and shallot very finely.
6. Take a small skillet and soften the butter in it over moderate heat and cook chopped garlic and shallots until they turn tender and transparent.
7. Take a mixing bowl add together garlic, salt pork, shallot and chicken.
8. Blend in lightly beaten egg and bread crumbs.
9. Add chopped parsley and thyme and season it with black pepper and salt and fold in the brandy.
10. Spread the stuffing over the beef slices in equal proportions. Roll each slice and tuck its end to manage the stuffing in place.
11. Use thin string to tie up each paupiette in a secure manner.
12. Keep the meat aside.
13. To make the sauce: Remove the skin of onion and chop it finely. Add it to the lard or drippings and brown it lightly.
14. Clean the vegetables by washing them under running water and chop them finely.
15. Combine it with onions and cook for some minutes until the onion browns slightly.
16. Take a large shallow casserole and spread the vegetables over it. Top it with a single layer of paupiete.
17. Add wine and stock into the pan in which the vegetables are getting cooked. Scrape all the residues nicely.
18. Spoon the pan juice over the meat and cook it for about 1 ½ hours at 325°F with lid permanently parched over the casserole.
19. Take off the lid after 20 minutes of cooking time.
20. Rotate meat at least once during the cooking time.
21. Take out the paupiettes from the casserole, discard the string and arrange the meat over a water serving dish.
22. Spread vegetables around the paupiettes.
23. Take a small saucepan and add the cooking liquid and boil it rapidly until the sauce reduces by a third.
24. Add beurre manie to thicken the sauce and heat it thoroughly.
25. Top the meat with little sauce and serve the remaining in a sauceboat.
26. Serve immediately with creamed potatoes or buttered noodles.