- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Beef Nilaga (Filipino Beef Stew) Recipe Video
|Beef shank||1 (leg portion)|
|Potato||4 Medium, diced (into medium pieces)|
|Chinese cabbage||1 Medium (wombok)|
|Green bean||1 Kilogram, halved|
|Onion||1 Large, diced|
|Celery stalk||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced (into small pieces)|
|Black peppercorn||1 Tablespoon|
|Patis||4 Teaspoon (Filipino fish sauce (to taste))|
|Spring onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced (for garnish)|
Calories 1218 Calories from Fat 414
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g70.9%
Saturated Fat 17.3 g86.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 199.4 mg
Sodium 1044.7 mg43.5%
Total Carbohydrates 91 g30.3%
Dietary Fiber 23 g91.8%
Sugars 16 g
Protein 111 g221.4%
Vitamin A 261% Vitamin C 311.7%
Calcium 47.6% Iron 83.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large sauce pan place the beef shank pieces and pour enough water to submerge them totally.
2. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove the scum from the surface.
3. Cover and pressure cook for 20 minutes at medium heat.
4. Cool and open the cooker and set the meaty pieces aside and let the bones remain in the cooker.
5. Add the potatoes, onions and black pepper corns.
6. Season with patis and cover and cook for 3 minutes.
7. Add green beans and replace the meaty pieces back in the cooker.
8. Place the whole Chinese cabbage leaves on top of the stew.Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
9. Sprinkle in the celery.
10.Pour the steaming hot stew in a bowl and garnish with spring onions. Serve right away.