- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Beef, Vegetable And Barley Soup Recipe
|Barley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), soaked|
|Pearl barley||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), soaked overnight|
|Beef stock||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Mixed herbs||1 Teaspoon, dried|
|Dried mixed herbs||1 Teaspoon|
|Lean rump steak/Sirloin steak||8 Ounce, trimmed and cut into thin slices (250 Grams)|
|Carrot||1 Large, diced|
|Leek||1 , shredded|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Celery stalks||2 , sliced|
|Fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped (For Garnish)|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Crusty bread||1 (For Serving)|
Calories 291 Calories from Fat 74
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.7%
Saturated Fat 3.2 g15.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 26.6 mg
Sodium 804.1 mg33.5%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.3%
Sugars 6.3 g
Protein 21 g42.9%
Vitamin A 90.1% Vitamin C 32.8%
Calcium 10.7% Iron 21.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Cut and slice all the veggies, as desired.
2) In a large heavy-bottomed pan, place the barlsey with stock and mixed herbs.
3) Boil the stock and reduce the heat to simmer the barley over gently heat in a covered pan for 10 minutes.
4) Skim away any excess fat appearing on the top of the stock.
5) Add, leeks, carrots, celery, onion and steak to the soup.
6) Boil again and let the soup simmer with cover for 1 hour or until meat and barley are tender.
7) Remove any excess fat from the top of the soup or bloat it with a paper towel.
8) Season the soup with salt and pepper.
9) In warm soup bowls, ladle the soup, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with crusty bread.