- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Beef And Kidney Bean Soup Recipe
|Beef shank||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Carrot||1 , peeled, chopped|
|Onion||1 , peeled, chopped|
|Chopped celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled, quartered|
|Canned kidney beans||32 Ounce, drained (Two 16 Ounce Cans)|
|Green pepper||1 , cored, seeded, sliced|
Calories 339 Calories from Fat 108
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.4%
Saturated Fat 4.3 g21.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 49.9 mg
Sodium 614.6 mg25.6%
Total Carbohydrates 32 g10.6%
Dietary Fiber 8.4 g33.5%
Sugars 10.3 g
Protein 32 g64.4%
Vitamin A 45.6% Vitamin C 57.7%
Calcium 13.9% Iron 23.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a slow cooker or crock pot combine beef, vegetables, aromatics (tied in a spice bag) and water. Stir to mix well
2. Close pot tightly with its lid.
3. Allow the beef and vegetables to cook on HIGH for about 4 hours, or cook on LOW for about 8 hours, if you are preparing the soup for supper.
4. Once meat is tender, using a slotted spoon remove beef shank to a platter.
5. Remove and discard spice bag.
6. When cool enough to handle, shred the meat off the bone.
7. Skim the fat from top off soup.
8. Add shredded meat pieces along beans and peppers.
9. Cover pot again and let cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
10. Ladle the hot broth, meat, beans and vegetables into warmed soup bowls or dishes.
11. Serve the soup hot accompanied with crusty bread.