- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Beef A La Mode in Aspic Recipe
|Dry red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Canned stewed tomatoes||1 Pound, undrained (1 can)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled|
|Carrots||5 Large, pared|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (cold)|
|Eggs||2 , hard-cooked, sliced|
|Olives||8 , stuffed, sliced|
Calories 232 Calories from Fat 64
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11%
Saturated Fat 0.42 g2.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 52.9 mg
Sodium 431.5 mg18%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.2%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8.1%
Sugars 5 g
Protein 21 g42.6%
Vitamin A 154% Vitamin C 14.1%
Calcium 4.8% Iron 6.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) With damp paper towels wipe roast.
2) In 5-quart Dutch oven heat oil and brown meat over medium heat on all side for 20 minutes.
3) Mix wine, tomatoes, onion, pars ley, garlic, salt and peppercorns.
4) Boil mixture, decrease heat and simmer covered for 2 1/2 hours turning in between.
5) Add carrots and cook for 25 minutes until done.
6) Drain out beef and carrots. Cool and refrigerate covered overnight.
7) Strain out the pan juices, discard vegetables and refrigerate broth.
8) The next day, take out broth from refrigerator. Remove fat from broth.
9) Transfer into 3-quart saucepan.
10) In a small bowl add egg whites and cold water and beat slightly.
11) Mix it to the broth and bring to boil stirring frequently.
12) Take off from heat and let stand for 15 minutes.
13) Take a large strainer and line with a dampened double thickness of cheesecloth.
14) Strain both mixtures through it into a bowl measuring 1 1/2 cups. Reserve it for making aspic.
15) Take out meat from refrigerator and cut out the excess fat.
16) Halve lengthwise and cut into 1/8 inch thick slices.
17) To make the aspic, in a bowl add 2 1/2 cups aspic and put in a bowl of ice water. Let stand for 10 minutes stirring often.
18) In the bottom of chilled 2-quart mold or 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan pour 1 cup aspic into it.
19) Arrange 8 egg slices length wise overlapping at the center of aspic.
20) On all the sides overlap sliced stuffed olives.
21) Line the bottom of mold with halved egg slices. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
22) Cut carrots in stripe about 1 inches long and 1/4 inch wide.
23) Dip carrots in aspic and put inside of mold next to each other.
24) Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
25) Chill remaining aspic for about 10 minutes.
26) Dip beef slice in aspic and arrange slices standing up, next to each other.
27) With remaining aspic fill the mold.
28) Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
29) Run spatula around edge of mold, to loosen it.
30) Invert over serving platter and shake lightly to release.
31) Put hot damp dishcloth over mold and shake again.
32) Serve with mustard.