- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
BECHAMEL SAUCE Recipe
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 601 Calories from Fat 347
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g60.3%
Saturated Fat 23.7 g118.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 109 mg36.3%
Sodium 592.3 mg24.7%
Total Carbohydrates 48 g15.9%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g4.9%
Sugars 25.6 g
Protein 19 g37.6%
Vitamin A 25.9% Vitamin C 5.4%
Calcium 56.3% Iron 10.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Using butter and flour, make a roux. Keep it aside to cool.
2. Boil milk. If you want thinner sauce, use more.
3. Add thyme and nutmeg to it. Remove thyme after a while.
4. Reheat milk and pour it gradually on to the roux.
5. Return to heat. Remember to beat well in between each addition.
6. Add salt and pepper as per taste.
7. Once the sauce attains a smooth consistency, let it stand over hot water. Cover with a wet circle of greaseproof paper to prevent a crust from forming on top. Since this paper lid can prevent crust from forming, this sauce can be prepared well in advance.
8. Bechamel sauce is a main ingredient for many lasagna recipes.