- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Bean Sprout Carrot and Lettuce Salad with Tofu Dressing Recipe
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Firm tofu||10 Ounce (1 Block)|
|Oriental sesame oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Japanese rice vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground white pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Bean sprout||1 Pound|
|Romaine lettuce head||1 Small|
Calories 227 Calories from Fat 112
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.8%
Saturated Fat 1.9 g9.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 289.6 mg12.1%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g6.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.5%
Sugars 13.7 g
Protein 12 g24.1%
Vitamin A 208.8% Vitamin C 60%
Calcium 23.1% Iron 19.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) With the double thickness of paper towels, line a plate.
2) In a sauté pan or a small dry heavy-gauge skillet, toast the sesame seeds over medium-low flame. Shake the pan constantly and keep stirring to prevent scorching. Cook seeds for about 1 minute till they turn light brown. Turn the seeds into the paper towels and set aside.
3) Wash the tofu, pat dry it and cut into small cubes.
4) Make the dressing by combining together the tofu and sesame oil in a blender or food processor and puree.
5) With the machine still running, add just enough rice vinegar to give the dressing a smooth and pourable consistency. Add the sugar, salt and pepper. Cover the container and place in the fridge till ready to serve.
6) In a large saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil.
7) From the lettuce, remove and discard any bruised or discoloured outer leaves. Wash the lettuce and dry it with paper towels or in a salad spinner. Stack the leaves and cut just enough crosswise into thin strips to measure 3 to 4 cups. Place the leaves in a large salad bowl.
8) Peel the carrots, trim them and with the coarse side of a grater or a food processor, shred them. Add to the lettuce in the bowl.
9) Put the bean sprouts into the boiling water for some 15 seconds and turn them into a colander. Refresh under cold running water, drain, dry and add to the salad bowl. Toss the ingredients together.
10) To recombine the dressing, turn the food processor or blender on and off once or twice. Add 1 cup of dressing to the salad. Toss till the vegetables are evenly coated and keep the remaining dressing aside for future use. Sprinkle the salad with the toasted sesame seeds.
11) Serve as preferred.