- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Bean Soup Recipe
|Dry navy beans||1 Pound, soaked overnight in water to cover, drained|
|Meaty ham bone/Pieces of ham||1 Pound|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Celery leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Pepper/5 peppercorns||To Taste|
Calories 309 Calories from Fat 64
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.1%
Saturated Fat 2.2 g10.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 35.2 mg
Sodium 500.9 mg20.9%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.4%
Dietary Fiber 14.3 g57.3%
Sugars 3.4 g
Protein 26 g51.2%
Vitamin A 1.2% Vitamin C 3%
Calcium 9.5% Iron 21.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large slow-cooking pot or a crock pot, combine all the ingredients.
2. Give a good stir to mix well then cover pot with its lid.
3. Allow the ingredients to cook on HIGH for 5 to 6 hours or if you are in now hurry, cook on LOW for 10 to 12 hours.
4. Carefully lift out the ham bone and place on a platter and allow it to cool slightly until easy to handle.
5. Shred the meat off bone.
6. Add shredded chunks of meat into the soup.
7. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bay leaf, peppercorns and celery sprigs before serving soup.
8. Ladle the hot soup with beans and meat into 8 warmed soup plates or bowls.
9. Serve with crusty bread if you like.