- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Bean And Potato Soup Recipe
|Red beans||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Red Preferred)|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Potatoes||3 , peeled, diced|
|Onions||2 , peeled, sliced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled, minced|
|Canned tomato paste||8 Ounce|
|Beef bouillon cubes||3|
|Salt pork||1⁄4 Pound, sliced|
Calories 380 Calories from Fat 149
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g25.3%
Saturated Fat 5.7 g28.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 17.4 mg
Sodium 1083.5 mg45.1%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.5%
Dietary Fiber 9.2 g37%
Sugars 8 g
Protein 12 g24.9%
Vitamin A 11.6% Vitamin C 55.1%
Calcium 6.6% Iron 23.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Place the beans in a large bowl and cover with water. Let them soak overnight.
2. Tip the soaked beans along with water into a slow cooker or crock pot.
3. Close pot tightly with its lid.
4. Allow the beans to cook and soften on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours, or on LOW for 4 to 6 hours if you are preparing the soup for supper.
5. Once beans are tender, add the vegetables, garlic, tomato paste, bouillon cubes, pork and seasonings to the pot. Give a good stir.
6. Cover again and let cook on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours or on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
7. Ladle the beans and vegetables soup into warmed soup bowls or soup plates.
8. Serve the soup hot with crusty bread, or rice if you like.