- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
White Bean and Lamb Soup Recipe Video
|White beans||1⁄2 Pound, dried|
|Baby spinach leaves||1⁄2 Pound|
|Chicken broth||6 Cup (96 tbs), low sodium|
|Salt||2 Teaspoon (use as per taste)|
|Black pepper||2 Teaspoon (use as per taste)|
|Oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon, dried|
|Thyme||1 Teaspoon, dried|
|Fresh parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), canned with liquid|
|Celery stalks||3 Medium, diced|
|Carrots||3 Medium, peeled and diced|
|Lamb||1 1⁄4 Pound, ground|
|Garlic cloves||3 Medium, chopped|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Feta cheese||4 Ounce, crumbled|
Calories 759 Calories from Fat 345
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g59.6%
Saturated Fat 15.8 g79.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 118.8 mg
Sodium 2394.7 mg99.8%
Total Carbohydrates 55 g18.5%
Dietary Fiber 13.4 g53.6%
Sugars 11.5 g
Protein 49 g97.4%
Vitamin A 251.7% Vitamin C 68.6%
Calcium 42.7% Iron 66.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Soak the dried beans in water overnight, then drain off remaining water and rinse.
2. In a large stockpot, cook the onion in oil over low heat until just beginning to soften for about 4 minutes.
3. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
4. Increase the heat to medium, add lamb and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Stir in carrots and celery and cook for 1 minute.
6. Stir in tomatoes and season with parsley, thyme, oregano, freshly ground pepper and salt to taste.
7. Add beans and broth to the pot.
8. Bring to a boil, boil for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to medium-low.
9. Simmer covered for 1/1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
10. Rinse spinach and then place in a saucepan.
11. Place over medium heat and cook until wilted. This will only take a short time and you will not need to add more liquid to the pan.
12. Top each serving of soup with wilted spinach and crumbled feta cheese and serve.